Western Vista was chartered in 1940 as Wytel Federal Credit Union, in Cheyenne, Wyoming for the employees and families of Mountain States Telephone and Telegraph Company, and individuals employed by affiliates of the telephone company. Many products and services have been added over the years, making the Credit Union a "full service" financial institution. Several other Credit Unions were merged into our field of membership over the years:
• Demem FCU in 1986
• Bucking Horse FCU in 1986
• Casper Natrona Employees FCU in 1988
• LHHS employees in 1991
The Casper Natrona EFCU was in Casper, Wyoming and provided membership a much needed service center location in the central part of Wyoming. That office was soon outgrown, and a new building was built in 1993 on West Collins. In 1999, the office was expanded to its current size to meet the demands of the membership and increase office space for our mortgage lending offices.
In July of 1995 the Board authorized a new name, "Western Vista FCU", which better reflects the diversification of the "new" field of membership the Credit Union serves. In 1996 the Cheyenne office moved into a newly built service center located at 3207 Sparks Road.
In July of 2002 the Credit Union received authorization to add NCUA approved "Underserved Area" designation in most of Natrona County, Casper and Cheyenne to our expanding field of membership. This change to the charter allows persons who "live, work, worship, attend school or other business entities" to qualify for membership and all Credit Union Services.
Increased membership and growth put growing pains on the Cheyenne building and in the fall of 2002 an extensive addition and remodeling of that location was started. The expansion included 2 additional drive-up lanes, and the size of the existing building was nearly doubled. A new entrance on the West side and additional parking spaces provide access to the new home for the Mortgage Lending Services, Administration, Collection Department and Indirect Lending Department. Construction was completed in August of 2003.
In August 2005 a branch was built in north Cheyenne at 1215 Storey Blvd. This facility is a full-service branch with 5 drive-up lanes, an ATM and full lobby access.
in 2008 Western Vista reached $100,000,000 in assets, with a large percentage of the growth in the Casper Market, and the aging facility on Collins, it was decided to open a new branch. Property was purchased on the West side of Casper at 3401 Eagle Dr. This new facility features, safety deposit boxes, five drive-through lanes, and a large community room.
As of 2016, the credit union continues to grow and has reached 145 million in assets, 10,000 members and continues to serve the growing markets of Cheyenne and Casper, Wyoming. Online and mobile services have been introduced to increase our ability to serve members wherever they may live, work or worship.